Vehicles

ts250 - new battery tray, expanded exhaust

I converted the bike from 6 volts to 12 volts a while back. I got a battery of craigslist but it was too big to fit into the original battery box. Honestly that box could only hold a box of tic tacs. Its tiny. So I just wedged the battery in the frame behind the carb. Unfortunately this meant I didn't have space for a super large K&N air filter, so off came the air filter.

That was supposed to be temporary but here I am a years later in exactly the same spot. Today, I do have something I didn't have back then, a welder. I made a new battery tray out of steel and welded it to the frame just under the seat. Unfortunately my craigslist battery was simply too big, there was no way I could build a box that would fit the battery yet still allow for the use of my large air filter. I bit the bullet and bought the smallest 12 volt battery my local auto parts store had. My craigstlist battery will go in Elizabeth's hotwheels eventually. The new battery and tray look and work great. It is very secure.

Another problem I had with the bike is an air leak where the exuast meets the motor. Factory exhaust gaskets don't do anything. An exhaust leak allows fresh air to be drawn into the cylinder causing a lean condition. Its a serious problem and caused me to blow a piston. Well, I new it was running lean and I pushed it anyways so I guess I blew the piston.

Regardless, I has success with stuffing aluminum foil around the end of the pipe. After installing like 5 or 6 layers of foil, the pipe fit tightly in the block and the air leak was fixed. Aluminum foil only lasts so long though. Fast forward a year or so and I could tell the bike was running lean again. There was not much foil left.

I recently got a pipe spreader for doing some exhaust work on my RV and Sonett. I decided to expand the exhaust on the TS250 so that it was permantly a tight fit, no aluminum foil needed. The exhasust is double walled but the last half inch or so is a single wall so no problem. It expanded easily and now fits like a glove.

Pictures

Preview Image Size
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
can't be too careful, added lots of copper RTV. Too bad I flange first :(
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
yeah, I made that with my vice, a hammer, and my mig welder
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
I can finally fit my huge air filter again
SmllMedLrg
installed, painted, and ready to go

Add Picture Comments
Contact Us | ©2014 Me | Page best viewed with Chromium