The speedometer stopped working near the end of my last roadtrip. I figured it was a broken cable for sure. I checked the cable and it was good. I checked the drive at the wheel and the little pip did not turn reliably. If you put any resistance on it, it stopped turning. The problem was internal to the front wheel.
I pulled the front wheel off and starting going through piece by piece. Thankfully the problem was the 3rd piece I pulled off. This piece is like a washer with little fins that catch both the wheel casing above it and the speedeometer drive in the brake shoe assembly below it. Those probably are not the right names but the regardless, the point is it transfers rotation from the wheel to the speedometer gear in the fixed brake assembly.
The problem was that the tabs were worn out. This caused the speedometer to work inconsistently. This piece includes rubber on wheel side. My best guess is that the rubber had worn out. This allowed the now broken washer piece to move closer to the wheel and further away from the brake assembly side. This allowed the brake side to slide under the fins on the washer. The fins quickly wore out. By the time I removed the washer piece, the fins were worn to about half their original thickness.
Replacing this part was easy. With the new finned washer in place, the speedometer works correctly again. One interesting thing to note is that the new OEM finned washer comes with rubber only on one side. The old one had rubber on two sides. One side really has no need for rubber, the brake assembly side. I am curious why there was rubber there on the original part.
I also replaced the gas cap gasket because my old one was severely cracked and let gas escape.
Preview Image Size
| old one is severely cracked |
| about 1 minute to install, has nice action when gas cap is closed |
| old on right, new on left. This is the broken piece that stopped the speedometer |
| no rubber on the brake assembly side of the new washer. Not needed, why was it there originally |