The bike would occasionally get stuck on full throttle. The problem was that the carb throttle valve, slide, what ever you call it, that part would get stuck in the raised position. It was due to a problem in the carb, not the throttle cable. I tried reparing the slide guide. While that halped, it did not eliminate the problem. I next loosened the carb mounting flange bolts. This also helped, presumably the carb body was being torqued slightly, but the problem still occured from time to time.
I ended up just replacing the carb. The Mikuni VM28SH carb is no longer made. Not a huge surprise there. I was not able to find a replacement VM28 carb so I ended up going with a 30mm carb, the Mikuni VM30. This carb comes in spigot mount while my old carb was flange mount. I ended up purchasing a rubber adapter that lets me use the new carb on the TS250.
I got the carb from Sudco.com. They prejetted the carb so it would work on a 1975 TS250. I have yet to get the bike out on the street so I can't say how good their jet decisions were but at least the bike starts up.
I also mounted my license plate. There was no license plate braket so I ended up just drilling a couple holes in the plate and mounting it directly to the rear fender, just below the brake light which does have the white lense on the bottom for illuminating the license plate.
Preview Image Size
| terrible picture, the needle is set at the middle of 5 positions |
| new carb installed and ready to go |
| no holes for license plate |
| viola, now has holes for license plate |