Vehicles

ts250 - installing LED turn signals, troubleshooting stuck full throttle

My Suzuki TS250 came with 2 turn broken turn signals in back and none up front. I am not a fan of driving around without turn signals, especially on a motorcycle. I had done some troubleshooting previously and determined that the 2 turn signals I had were corroded. The wiring itself was fine. That was the good news.

Since I was going to have to buy new turn signals for the front anyways, I figured I might as well get a whole new set so I didnt have to mess with the terriblly rusted rear signals. This bike uses a 6 volt electrical system. That is not a bad thing, except when you combine that with the fact that I wanted LED turn signals, since they would be more gentle on a 37 year old charging system. 

I didnt want to buy turn signal units and then replace the bulbs with LED bulbs. That would be a waste. What I wanted to do was buy turn signals with LED's integrated into them. The problem was they had to be 6 volt. This posed a serious problem. After several hours of searching on the internet (an eternity for me) I finally exactly what I was looking for on ebay. The catch was the signals were a no name brand unit that was being shipped from Korarno Slovakia. Lets just say I was weary they would work. Had these signals been available from ANYWHERE else, I would have bought them there. This was all I could find so I took the risk, bought them, then waited 3 weeks for them to arrive.

Once they arrived I quickly tested each one. They all worked and are suprisingly bright. The ebay pictures dont do them justice, they are absolutely tiny. I couldn't care how small they are really, but the smaller they are, the less they stick off the bike and the less likely they are to break off while I am doing some off-road riding (someday).

LED lights dont have the same resistance levels as regular bulbs so they generally wont work with existing turn signal relays. I purchased a 6 volt relay specifically designed for LED lights. I ditched the original relay and replaced it with the new one.

I then set about creating mounting brackets for the new turn signals. Unfortunately, the new turn signals had a much shorter stalk then the old ones so I could not reuse the original mounting locations. No problem, I fabricated some adapters out of aluminum. This also gave me an excuse to use my new powder coater. This was a win win because I got to practice my powder coating skills on a part that I really don't care how it looks. 

In the end I am happy with the end result. The powder coat is a little thin. I should have sprayed more on, or done a second coat. I didnt do a second coat because I want to see how 1 coat holds up. Anyways the turn signals are on and they work great. Check out the video below.

I also pulled off the carb to see if I could figure out why it sometimes get stuck on full throttle. As far as I can tell, the throttle valve is badly worn where it contacts the pastic guide built into the carb body. I also think the top of the guide may be broken off. My theory is that under full throttle, the throttle valve raises up beyond the guide, and twists or gets off kilter such that when the throttle is released, the valve does not return to its closed position, it stays stuck open.

Unfortunately parts for this carb (Mikuni VM28SH) are no logner made. There is nothing on ebay. I found a website that will sell me a Mikuni VM30 and the adapter I need to use this new spigot carb in place of my old flange mount 28 mm carb. They will even prejet the VM30 for my bike. All in all it sounds like a good deal at around $180 for a brand new carb. Unforunately for the suzuki, the entire point of me buying this bike was something I could drive with minimal investment and without worrying about hurting it.

This lead me to the idea of repairing the carb with some JB Weld. I ran a bead of jb weld down the inside of the carb body to build up that throttle guide. The result is that the guide is deeper and taller. The throttle valve can no longer lift above the guide, even at full throttle. It just took a little bit of jb weld and a few minutes with a fine metal file. 

Movies


Download 100_9764.mp4
(16.4MB)


Pictures

Preview Image Size
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
first coat cured, could use another coat but I am not going to do it
SmllMedLrg
oops, one part must have touched something that wiped a line of powder off
SmllMedLrg
new turn signals installed
SmllMedLrg
Installed up front as well
SmllMedLrg
old carb is 60mm from center to center on flange mounting studs.
SmllMedLrg
the new jbweld throttle valve guide, slightly deeper than before and much taller

Add Picture Comments
Contact Us | ©2014 Me | Page best viewed with Chromium