Vehicles

sonett - installing rebuilt transmission, first drive

I received the rebuilt transmission from Mark Ashcraft. It was extremely clean. So clean, it got me thinking, if I ever wanted to paint it, now was the time. I sprayed it with a self etching primer first, then a wheel coating metallic silver. The results are extremely good considering the low amount of effort I put in. 

I then installed the new clutch on the engine, reattached the transmission (just that simple, yeah right), and reinstalled the whole thing in the car. The new pressure plate is taller than the old one. The parts are the same size, I think it is just the springs that are stiffer. Hopefully that is not a problem.

During the reinstallation I snapped off a couple of bolts. Funny, I never snapped any bolts the prior times I took the engine out or put it in. I guess that was my final test to ensure I really wanted to drive this thing. 

I added engine oil, transmission oil, coolant and was ready to test drive it. I opted to just rock it back and forth in the garage using 1st and reverse. This ended up being a good idea as the brakes didn't work. The fluid had all leaked out. The culprit appears to have been the hard brake line fittings at the master cylinder. I tightened them all up and so far so good, no more leaks.

The first drive around the neighborhood was a little dicey. I didn't put the hood on so I had no front body, bumper, or headlights. It was straight up a mad max vehcile. During the drive I noticed that the car idled ok but would die when coming down off of any significant RPMs. It also hesitated badly at mid throttle and didn't pull that hard and full throttle.

So I have a few more things to investigate, but hey, I got to drive the car and it was a blast.

Pictures

Preview Image Size
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
my homemade clutch alignment, tape on a tap
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
had to replace the lower radiator hose, it was far too stretched out
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
of course the wire connector soldered to this sensor snapped off
SmllMedLrg
I soldered on a new connector
SmllMedLrg
all better
SmllMedLrg
3 bolts that used to hold AC compressor on, now they have extra nuts so they don't bottom out
SmllMedLrg
exhaust snapped at this joing :(
SmllMedLrg
exhaust was rusted through anyways, but a rust exhaust is better than a snapped off exhuast
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
oops, vacuum tube left disconnected during first ride
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg
SmllMedLrg

Add Picture Comments
Contact Us | ©2014 Me | Page best viewed with Chromium