650 - getting it running part 2: gear selector
While reassembly the engine I noticed the gear selector was not reliable. It could select all 5 gears and neutral but sometimes it would get stuck in one spot. The unit is not that complex but still I couldnt figure out what the problem was. Luckily, I didnt have to. This was the gear selector from the donor motor. I simply removed it and replaced it with my original gear selector. Well, in truth it was not as simple as it sounds but it was not too bad either.
With the original gear selector in place, all gears are accessible and so far I have not gotton stuck in a gear. Maybe this is the problem that caused the donor 650 engine to end up on a concrete floor in a scrap yard after all.
I even took the time to adjust the gear selector lever. This was a pain in the butt, but was necessary as it was out of alignment with the replaced gear selector fitted.